YORK, PA – On Wednesday, June 21st, 2023 York County will join over 125 countries worldwide for Make Music Day, the largest single-day music event since it’s beginnings in 1982 in France. Make Music Day, coordinated in York County by the Cultural Alliance of York County, is an inclusive DIY festival encouraging musicians, producers, promoters, and music lovers to collaborate, and to organize in-person and online music performances in their communities. York County Make Music Day is presented by WellSpan Health, with thanks to Explore York, Traditions Bank and M&T Bank.
Make Music Day celebrates and promotes the natural music maker in all of us, regardless of ability, by providing free events to the public throughout the day. Collaborators for this event in York include Menchey Music, the York County Music Teachers Association, the Shine Foundation, Weary Arts Group, York Art Association, Appell Center for the Performing Arts, York County Libraries, the THEM Collective, School of Rock York and so many more!
Participating Locations and Events:
- All York County Menchey Music Locations from 12:00-8:00pm, more information at Make Music Day 2023 – Menchey Music
- Martin Library, Kaltreider-Benfer Library, Village Library, Dillsburg Library, and Dover library. Times and programs vary.
- Cherry Lane Park from 10am-5pm with kid-friendly, interactive performances by Kent Nazareth, Ronn and Ian’s Snack Club, Sunny 4Cast Barbershop Quartet and Nodding Onion plant music.
- Continental Square from 12pm-6pm, with beginner lessons in guitar, harmonica and violin, percussion play-alongs and a piano playing marathon.
- Organ Crawl with Dan Brownell beginning at 1:00pm at First Presbyterian Church.
- Kazoo Parade and Drum Circle at 5:30pm at Gift Horse Brewing.
- Live music at the Yorktowne Hotel Lobby from 4:00-8:00pm including Blaze Fogle’s Right Hand Jazz Quartet
- Pub Sings, Open Mic Night and Karaoke at bars and restaurants in downtown York including Handsome Cab, First Cap, The Cantina and Lovedrafts Unplugged.
The full lineup of performances will be unveiled at our press conference on Tuesday, June 13th at 11:00am prior to the Box Lunch Revue performance of AD Chandler in Cherry Lane Park in Downtown York.
For additional event information, visitwww.makemusicday.org/yorkcounty or www.york365.com.
Email Yorkcounty@makemusicday.org for questions. Events and details will continue to be added up until the day of the event.
Founded as a United Arts Fund in 1999, the Cultural Alliance’s annual campaign currently supports arts organizations and artists that are essential to arts and culture in our community. Over the past 22 years invested $12 million in cash and $2.5 million in in-kind support for the arts. Through critical operational grants, the Cultural Alliance is the lifeline for arts and culture in York County.